Thursday 4 September 2008

Carbon's Anniversary The Parting Of The Sensory - 1

Dear Shawn,

Happy 1 Monthiversary. The wedding feels like it was ages ago but at the same time I can't believe it's only been one month. I'm glad that the wedding planning is over and I'm sure you're glad that the Crazy Wedding Planning Nutbar has disappeared.

I haven't finished recapping our wedding yet. I struggled with starting the recap. The wedding was both the most significant thing I've ever done and the most insignificant life event. Significant because, holy crap, now we're married. Insignificant because, umm, nothing really changed. The day after the wedding, you didn't wake up and start putting your dirty socks in the laundry basket instead of leaving them on the floor and, surprise surprise, I didn't stop bitching about it (okay but seriously - IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. You take your socks off at night, leave them on the floor, Stella chews them, they get holes, you yell at Stella, lather, rinse repeat. THE BASKET IS FOUR FEET FROM WHERE YOU LEAVE YOUR SOCKS. EVERY. FREAKING. NIGHT.)

Our first month of married life has been a busy one. We went to Montreal to visit your dad's family. I was concerned about meeting them but I was just being a worrywart. They turned out to be fantastic people, who made every effort to make me feel included. It made me realize how difficult it must be for you, living on the other side of the country from them. I hope you never decide you want to move home though, because the mosquitoes made me want to cry. Maybe you could just convince your family members (all 50 of them) to move out West.

We took your computer with us to Montreal, to give to your dad. Your computer was old and full and it was getting harder for you to record music on it. Your dad had no computer (blows my mind) so he was happy to get your old computer. The plan was to give your dad your old computer, you'd take my newer computer and I'd buy a new laptop. The laptop has been put on hold for now, so we're currently sharing my computer. This situation has brought to light how much time you spend looking at cars online and how much time I spend reading blogs. It has also illuminated our need to learn how to compromise.

We still haven't managed to organise the condo since the wedding. We've made an effort though; we've put away almost all of the wedding gifts. We spent most of our wedding gift cards. We've sent out our thank you cards. Our next project is finding a kitchen table and cleaning out the closets. You and I both have a tendency to collect junk, shoving it away in closets or cupboards, out of sight out of mind. This has got to stop.

Thank you for making our first month of marriage so much fun. We've laughed a lot this past month. Like last night when I was trying to describe how I wanted to cut my hair and I was reminding you of how it was cut when we first met and you said "Oh yeah. You were hot back then." To which I replied, "Back then?" And then you got all flustered and then I laughed because you were so cute, trying to remove your foot from your mouth. Good times, my friend. Good times.

Love you, dude.

PS: Pick up your damn socks.

9 comments:

  1. That is too cute. Congratulations on your monthiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Back to celebrating relationship milestones in months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, and while you're at it, could you pickup my socks too. I actually leave them just outside of my hamper. You know, just to fuck with the laundry gods. I don't even know why I bought the darn hamper if I never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I love the idea of a letter to your "new" husband.

    Although I used to have the old-fashioned idea of NOT living together before we got married, I'm so happy that we did. Married life is really easy-peasy for C and I b/c we got all of the mess worked out before we got hitched.

    Here's to socks in the hamper and a new lap-top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn: Thanks!

    Ben: I know, right? It's like highschool all over again!

    J: I don't get it. Is it a guy thing?

    Over-Thinker: We've lived together for almost 3 years. The socks? Have been am issue for almost 3 years. What can I say - we're both stubborn people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwww. I want to get married one day so I can post pics of me in pretty dresses and write one month anniversary love letters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the krazy kamera angle in that first photo.

    P.S. Yay if the internet gods let me post this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know because I honestly prefer having my clothes in my hamper. I think part of the problem is my dress shirts wrinkle more if I put them in the hamper. So, I often don't because I'm lazy and hate ironing. And apparently, my brain is all or nothing. It puts everything in the hamper, or nothing. I just need to convince it that shirts are special and everything else goes in the nice hampers I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWWWWWWWWWW
    How sweet.
    But Shawn, just pick up your socks!

    ReplyDelete