Wednesday 17 September 2008

Now Don't Be Sad 'Cause Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

I'm not going to lie, Shawn pretty much married me because of this meatloaf. I don't want to brag but it is the best effing meatloaf you will ever eat. Unless you don't eat meat, in which case you should cry because you will never get to taste the wonder that is this meatloaf.

don't let this picture deceive you, this meatloaf does not taste like it looks


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, lightly beat 1 large egg.

Add:

1 small onion, diced finely

at least 2 large cloves of garlic, minced (I use 3 or 4, depending on the size)

fresh rosemary, finely chopped (you want to end up with about 1 teaspoon of finely (we're talking the consistency of dust) chopped rosemary)

1 cup fine, dry bread crumbs

between 1/3 and 1/2 cup ketchup

1.5 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I usually use more but I love the stuff)

1 teaspoon Tobasco sauce

pinch of salt

Mix it up until you've got a paste. Mix in a package of extra lean ground beef. You're shooting for between 1 and 1.5 pounds of beef. At this point you have to get right in with your hands and smoosh it all together.

Put about half of the mixture into a regular-sized loaf pan. Add a layer of grated cheese (I use about a cup of extra-old cheddar.) Top with the rest of the beef. I always put a bit more cheese on top. Not enough to completely cover the meatloaf (otherwise you end up with a nasty skin on your meatloaf) but just enough to form some crunchy parts.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. I used to make this in a dark-coloured nonstick pan and it would take about 10 - 15 minutes less time to cook. Now I make it in a glass loaf pan and it takes the full 45 minutes.

Top with tomato sauce (or gravy, if that's how you roll.)

Last night I served the meatloaf with green salad and garlic-mashed potatoes (topped with baked potato toppings because we are fat kids.)

10 comments:

  1. that looks seriously freakin delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't had lunch yet. this is cruel. WAAAAANT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, i'll definitely make this soon. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooo that looks yummy! I'm going to have to try this for the boyfriend. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmthat looks so tasty. i love meatloaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I MUST HAVE THIS. NOW. AND I JUST ATE A FILET MIGNON....Nothing says dessert like a good meatloaf. At least not in MY book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a freakin awesome meatloaf recipe, right? well my husband informs me that he HATES meatloaf b/c his mom totally overkilled it for him when he was a kid. i think i'm just going to make it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take your word for it. My Mom's meatloaf scarred me for life.

    ReplyDelete