Tuesday 30 September 2008

I Don't Want Pork Chops And Bacon

My slowcooker spent the summer on the shelf that I can't reach without the help of a stool (or a Shawn.) We aren't ready to retire the bbq yet but we're also not willing to use it in the rain, (I'm not convinced that it's safe. Electric bbq + rain = disaster? Anyone have any thoughts on this?) so the slowcooker awoke from his summer slumber last night (my slowcooker is definitely a "he" - don't ask me why, it's just a vibe I get.) This morning, I woke up hours before my alarm went off to the gorgeous smell of pork simmering away in chicken broth, onions and an absurd number of garlic cloves. I hate pork - HATE IT - with the exception of bbq pulled pork. There's something luxurious about pulled pork (it probably has something to do with the amount of time it takes to make it.) Stella was having a fit in her crate and as soon as I unlatched it she tore out of the bedroom, intent on finding the source of the yummy smells. I may or may not have spooned some of the cooking broth over her kibble this morning (just don't tell Shawn - I'm pretty sure that her digestive system would not have appreciated my gesture and he probably had a few surprises to deal with after I left for work.)

The pork has to cook overnight because it needs a full 12 hours to reach its full tender-potential. If it's not tender enough it won't shred properly. The shreddiness is the key to good pulled pork. I shredded the pork this morning before putting it in the fridge (it won't shred properly if it's too cold.) Tonight I will mix the meat with some Coke and bbq sauce and bake it in the oven for an hour. Shawn will have his pulled pork on a crusty roll but I'll eat mine on a green salad so I can pretend that I'm healthy. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll bake an acorn squash and serve the pork in it.

Can you tell it's lunchtime? I am so hungry.

I seem to be really bad at updates lately. I posted briefly about Stella's contest and going to Montreal and the epic party and our furniture angst but I failed to follow up. Now that the wedding recap is finally finished (umm...WAHOO!) I have no excuse. This will be a week of updates. Pictures included.

11 comments:

  1. You are making me want the slow cooker we registered for SO BADLY now! I can smell your dinner all the way down here in Chicago! IF we get it as a present, I'm so coming to you for that recipe. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a slow cooker. It just does it all itself, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you will just have to worry about marriage recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAHHHHH I WANT IT!!! come cook for me please? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait. You hate bacon?

    You can actually make slow cooked pork in an oven too. Just sayin' is all. Not that there's anything wrong with using a slow cooker, I was just mentioning it for all the folks that seem to want a slow cooker so that they can make pulled pork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seriously BANNING all food blogs from my eyes. They make me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so you post about pulled pork and you don't give like an official recipe? what a load of shite. you ARE a wanker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you are hard core. That sounds delicious, but so much work! Can I just come over and eat some of yours so I don't have to make it myself?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just a little confused. You are saying you do not want bacon?

    How could you not want bacon.

    Oh dear. I think I need to recline somewhere; I feel the vapors coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love pork chops and bacon. but i can't get them here so i guess i am out of luck.

    of course when i lived in the states i barely ever at them. it's totally because i can't have them that i want them.

    and ham. i want some ham.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You MUST post a photo/recipe of this. PUH-Lease!

    Also...you don't like bacon? What? WHAT? Okay, so when we meet up, you can sit there with your plate of pickles and I'll sit there with my plate of bacon and we'll stare at each other like the other is crazy.

    And? MMMmmmm acorn squash...

    ReplyDelete