Monday 29 September 2008

When I See The Apple In Disguise

Saturday morning, Turtle and I set off on a road trip. We took the old highway even though the day before, the BC Liberals had taken the toll off of the Coquihalla Highway. Turtle likes the old highway better and unless it's raining, I can't be bothered to argue. Turtle is persuasive. It's a four and a half hour drive from my house to Penticton but it takes longer when you stop at fruit stands to buy bags of crisp, wax-free apples and giant acorn squash and peaches (in September!) and that yummy red garlic that costs so much in the city.

The South Okanagan Events Centre is not complete yet but was granted a temporary occupancy permit for Saturday night's game. When we drove by earlier in the day, we could see a bunch of construction workers milling about. The penalty box was welded an hour before the game started. The floor was covered in concrete dust. It was exciting, though, to see my brother play in such a large arena. The building holds 5,000 and it sold out for Saturday night's game.

Westy didn't score any goals (though he did score in Friday night's game - Go, Westy!) but his team still pummeled the other team, 4-0.

We got home late last night, after hitting some nasty bridge traffic. Today I'm at work but I can't stop thinking about the peaches sitting on my counter at home. I've decided to make peach cobbler, but I can't figure out whether the peaches need to be peeled or not. I've never made a peach pie or cobbler before. Do you leave the skins on? They're not tough like an apple skin. The lazy part of me thinks that I should leave them on. I don't want to ruin this peach cobbler, though. This is the last of the summer fruit. I want this peach cobbler to knock me on my ass.

12 comments:

  1. I haven't read the whole post yet, but I caught the peach question. Yes, you do remove the skins. Blanch (plunge them into boiling water) them in water for 30 seconds (and then immediately put them into iced water) to remove the skins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat cooked fruit (call me strange), so I can't help you on the peach questions. But, the longer road-trip sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm peaches! I only had about two this summer. How sad is that?

    Sorry, no help on the cooking part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. peel the peaches. you can slip the skins really easily if you drop them in boiling water for about 1 minute. take them out, drop into a sink of cool water, and peel. peach skin is disgusting in pie or cobbler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely peel the peaches. -j/Jess's boiling water trick should work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you need to blanch! I wish I could have hooked up with you while you were here, but the weekend was a busy one.

    Make sure you let me know the next time you come up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooooh.... i have no idea how to make peach cobbler. i'd be more than happy to EAT peach cobbler if you felt the need to send me some, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. De-fuzz. For certain. Blanch as Jess said.

    I use a paper towel to assist in the de-fuzzing.

    Oh and way to make me hungry/jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mwah to the peach cobbler.

    And Mwah to Westy as I have a crush on him.

    Do I smell some puffy-letters coming out for Hockey season???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it knocks you down HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peel them if you're cooking-- definitely. I think the skins would taste nasty if they were cooked with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate peach skin. The fuzz grossest me out. I love peach flesh though.

    ReplyDelete