Thursday 13 November 2008

Fresh As Frost Out On The Pumpkin

Just in time for American Thanksgiving, I am sharing my grandma's pumpkin pie recipe. I'm not going to lie, it's the best pumpkin pie I have ever tasted. It's nice and light and not too much to handle after gorging yourself on turkey.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

1 envelope unflavoured gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1-1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar - divided
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs - separated
cooked pie shell

I am lazy and do not make my own pastry. Store-bought crust is smaller than homemade crust and holds less filling, so this recipe makes too much for one store-bought crust. Sometimes I just eat the extra filling like custard but sometimes I use the extra filling to make tarts. This recipe makes enough filling for one store-bought crust and 12 mini tarts.

Bake your crust well in advance. It should be completely cool before you add your filling.

Using a double-boiler is not an option for this recipe. If, like me, you do not have a double-boiler, use a bowl over a pot. You don't want the pot to have too much water in it - the water shouldn't be touching the bottom of the bowl. You do want enough water that it doesn't boil away while you're cooking, though.

Soften the gelatin in cold water. To do this, all you need to do is sprinkle the gelatin over the water (don't stir) and let it sit for 15 minutes.


In the top of your double-boiler, mix together egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, pumpkin, salt, and spices.

Cook, stirring often, until thick. This will take a good 15 - 20 minutes. If you don't cook it enough at this stage, your pie will end up runny.

Remove from heat and stir in gelatin.

Let filling cool for about half an hour before moving onto the next step.

Crap! I forgot to take a picture of the next step. You will have to use your imagination.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar while beating egg whites until stiff peaks form.

Fold into pumpkin mixture.

Pour into crust and chill. Serve with whipped cream.

10 comments:

  1. Dee. Lish.

    I'm always impressed by people who can cook and/or bake. Only because my apartment's shitty non-kitchen really only lends itself to tea and hot knives.

    There's something to be said for being a non-addict but still living in the hood... not necessarily something positive, but something nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! Looks and sounds delicious! I may have to try this some time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm just impressed with people who take pictures while they cook. my recipe blog would be so much cooler with picxtures...sheesh..

    ReplyDelete
  4. while that does indeed look delicious, i cannot stray from my mom's pumpkin pie, which is also OMGSOGOOD. we all go into panic mode if she suggests for even a minute that she might not be making it one thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, you can mail me a piece. thanks.

    my address is 1300...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what I'm thinking is that I move in with you in order to taste all the delish meals you cook. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only I liked pumpkin pie, I would so make this...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make a mean Pumpkin Chiffon, but this looks better than mine. However, I believe that anything is awesome with a five-pound dollup of whipped cream.

    Printing this off....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing! Thanks for the walk through! = )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumpkin Chiffon? YUM! I expect Jess to make this and bring me a piece. My job will be taster.

    ReplyDelete