Tuesday 11 November 2008

Feeling Hot Hot Hot

Last weekend, before I contracted the black lung, I made 48 jars of hot pepper jelly for my mom's birthday party. And yes, it was as horrible as it sounds.

For one batch (sixteen 125ml jars) you need one red pepper, one green pepper and six jalapeno peppers.


Wearing gloves is advisable when cutting up jalapeno peppers. Stella lost her shit when I brought out the gloves. I have no idea why. 

Dice everything up really small. 

In a large pot, mix peppers, 6 - 1/2 cups of white sugar, 1 - 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter (to prevent foaming.)


Heat on high heat, stirring constantly, until you reach a full boil (keeps boiling while you stir.) Stir in 1 pouch of liquid Certo. Bring back to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute, while stirring.


Pour into sterilized jars and process (I did mine in a water bath.)

This jelly is so yummy on crackers with cheese.

13 comments:

  1. this looks sooo yummy! is certo like pectin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of pepper jelly. But it looks fantastic.

    I've got the same question though - what is certo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my cooking hero.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounds like some pretty scary stuff! Poor Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like an interesting dish to cook up...never heard of it until just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My eyes are stinging already. Because I would most definitely find a way to lodge jalepeno in my eye. But, the jelly? On crackers? With a warm cup of tea? Sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish I was as creative as you. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloves are entirely necessary when working with jalapenos, especially if you have any interest whatsoever in touching your face, eyes, or your/your partner's pink bits for the next several days.

    We learned that one the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing. Never heard of this either... sounds... hawt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it makes my eyes burn just LOOKING at that. it is exactly the sort of thing i think i shall never make ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello. Dr. OT, here.

    Any chance the HOLY MOTHER BIG BATCH (that totally sounds like an awesome new swear-phrase) of Pepper Jelly actually equals Black Lung????

    I love your foodie posts. How much crap did Shawn give you for taking the photos, this time 'round?

    ReplyDelete