Thursday 26 August 2010

But I Guess Driving For A Week Or Two Puts Words In Your Mouth So Find Dodge And Then Get Out Of It

Friday Faff: Thursday Night Edition

Thank you all so much for your shoe input! I think I'm going to wear the black strappy heels and tuck a pair of silver flats in my bag for when my feet get too sore (read: I get too wobbly) to wear heels.

* * * * *

I got really overwhelmed by all of the road trip options for when we're in Vegas next week so I gave up and booked us a room at the Sahara for the 2 nights before we head to the wedding hotel. We're going to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon and be satisfied (I keep repeating that because I'm disappointed. Even though I'm the one who made the decision. Yes, living with me is a treat.) I just feel like there is too much room for error (if anyone is going to end up in the middle of the dessert with a busted rental car, it's me) and the timetable is so rushed that I could end up being a raging asshole to my friend. I don't want to be a MIA bridesmaid, you know?

* * * * *

Shawn played an acoustic show at the Roxy last night. It was the first time I've been back to the Roxy since my ill-fated bachelorette party which saw me carted away from the bar in an ambulance (GHB ftw!) It was weird to be there, especially at 9pm on a Wednesday when it was less than busy. I didn't expect to feel a physical reaction to being back there but I did. Nothing drastic, mind you, just a niggling little kernel of discomfort that I attempted to quell with much gin. And then poutine. And then I died because I am far too old for midweek drinking.

* * * * *

Dan Mangan's album Nice, Nice, Very Nice is currently putting a huge smile on my face. Good tunes, fabulous lyrics (seriously - read the lyrics for The Indie Queens are Waiting or Some People and try to tell me they're not lovely. I will fight you) and a tour that's heading through Vancouver in November.

* * * * *

Have a great weekend, lovelies!

10 comments:

  1. Oh gosh.. I'm sure you'll be fine. The Sahara should be awesome! I bet with MY luck, I'll end up on a busted coach somewhere in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just means that you'll be back there again someday. I know, I get disappointed by things like that too, but then I just make sure that I get to go there again and "do it right".

    PS. I posted a travel guide of sorts for AZ, on Style Lush, so next time you've the opportunity to go, it's already for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when people are passionate about great lyrics. I've had talks about music with D quite often and he's far more of a sound type of person; great guitars, riffs, drumming are what gets him hooked, where I'll fall in love with beautiful words. Thanks for sharing, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when people are passionate about great lyrics. I've had talks about music with D quite often and he's far more of a sound type of person; great guitars, riffs, drumming are what gets him hooked, where I'll fall in love with beautiful words. Thanks for sharing, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart Dan Mangan. Heart heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for black strappy with a sensible cute pair in reserve.

    I think you made the perfect decision about the Grand Canyon. Who wants to be anxious about getting stuck in the desert? I don't know if you've seen the English Patient, but stuck in the desert is no laughing matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so smart to bring an alternative pair of shoes. :)

    Have a great weekend, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathe Gently: No, no, I'm sure your trip is going to be smashing!

    Raven: I loved your AZ guide! I think we'll definitely be back one day to do the Grand Canyon "right."

    Emily-Jane: Don't get me wrong - sometimes I don't even notice the lyrics because the sounds are so great, but I have a deep abiding respect for musicians who put equal effort into creating really great lyrics.

    xoxb: Me too!

    Lemon Glora: I've not seen the English Patient because I make it a rule to not watch films that will ruin me. I get too emotionally invested and then I die. No really, I only watch fluffy comedies. But yes, being stuck in the desert (ha - I wrote dessert in my post. I'm such a tool) is a huge fear of mine. Being stuck in the desert 2 days before my best friend's wedding? Unfathomable.

    Angella: Thanks, lady! I hope you have a great weekend too. Are you getting any of the rain we've got right now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent 4 months in Vegas on a work project (Mon-Thurs). I made it to the Hoover Dam during a day trip, but never to the Grand Canyon. Hope you have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! I downloaded Nice, Nice, Very Nice at your suggestion and ABSOLUTELY love it! There's a show in London next week that I'm dying to go to, I just need to find someone to come along with me!

    ReplyDelete