Sunday 31 May 2009

Just Beat It Beat It Beat It Beat It No One Wants To Be Defeated - Take 5

Slipping in just under the wire, my May beets:

Beets and a sweet potato, drizzled with olive oil and roasted for an hour, then peeled and chopped.

To mask the taste of the beets (clockwise from top left): avocado, pink grapefruit, snap peas, red pepper, cucumber, cheery tomatoes, red onion, strawberries.

More beet-flavour-maskers: barbecued chicken and goat cheese. 


The verdict: These salads were massive. The beet to other-food ratio was approximately 1:20. The beets tasted like beets (read: sweaty ass crack) but there were enough strong flavours (the grapefruit worked particularly well) to hide it. The trick is to never eat a piece of beet by itself. 

10 comments:

  1. I love that you're being so dedicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I don't like beets...but those actually look yummy! Yes, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, I WANT THAT SAAAALAAAAAD. (i do like beets, but turns out i also like EVERYTHING EVER you made it with, and never would have thought to put it all together. am now salivating.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap, I meant to tell you that I had beets the other day and actually liked them! They were fresh, and julienned, and just used as garnish on a salad. I was totally shocked that I liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, that is a mean mince on that red onion. Tiny little onion bitlets!

    And I'm with Alice- I want that salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that salad looks so GOOD! I love how colorful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still trying the beets thing huh? Everything in that dish looks super scrumptious, well, except the beets.

    You.Are.Brave.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me, I love pickled beet root. And I love beet greens. I suppose I am big on the beets, it must be said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I come for dinner? That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have thought to pair all those crazy fruits and veggies! But it looks delicious. Except for the strawberries. Those make my mouth itch like a SOB.

    ReplyDelete