Tuesday, 26 May 2009

The Boat Engine Makes Noise

Yesterday I:

Got to work to find my office building's air conditioning unit had fried itself over the weekend. Our thermostat said it was 27 degrees (Celsius) in our office (Dear Americans, 27 degrees Celsius = 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Love Hillary.) I am constantly cold at work, so even during the summer months I dress like I'm going skiing. I layer like you've never seen anyone layer before. I'm fairly certain that yesterday was the first time my coworkers had seen my bare arms. The maintenance guy managed to get things working again after lunch but the air was still dead and warm and sticky when I left work last night.

Gave Wolfgang a bath and tried to comb all the snarls out of his coat. We were both extremely stressed and upset by the time I gave up. I decided to give him a treat to make up for it so I took him over to the treat cupboard. We keep all the puppy stuff together in one bin so I put the puppy shampoo and comb away while I was there. I guess I wasn't moving fast enough for Wolfgang though, because he looked me straight in the face and peed right in front of the treat cupboard. Needless to say, Wolfgang did not receive his post-bath treat.

This morning I:

Woke up three minutes before I usually leave for work.

Forgot my umbrella and was soaked to the bone by the time I got to my office.

Froze my ass off when I finally got to work because the property manager kept the air conditioning running full tilt all night. My thermostat said it was 16 degrees.

Stabby does not even begin to describe how I feel today.

To make myself feel better, I was looking through my holiday photos and I realized that I still haven't done a recap. I'm awesome like that. So here is a mini-recap. A one-day recap. Tuesday. The day of the Tropical Storm excursion.

This is me and Shawn on the bus, headed to the Tropical Storm. We look happy and relaxed but really, my head had just melted minutes before. We had been told to be in the lobby for 7:50 so we assumed the bus would be leaving at 8:00. We arrived at 7:53 just in time to watch the bus pull out of the resort. Luckily the concierge was a rockstar and managed to get the bus to come back and pick us up.

I have no idea what this is. It looks like a bunch of palm trees with no tops. I took the picture out the bus window as we drove past.

We all piled onto the sailboat and headed out to sea. It was a beautiful day, the crew was hilarious, the rum flowed freely and over half the sailboat occupants were people from our group. It made for an awesome excursion.

We headed up the coastline to get a look at all the different resorts. We ended up right outside of our resort, to get a closer look at the Astron Shipwreck.

From there we sailed out to a coral reef for some snorkeling. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of the ocean. I feel like we should leave the ocean alone and the ocean will leave us alone. You don't see any sharks coming up on land to mess with us so why tempt fate by heading into shark territory? It makes sense. Just go with it. Anyway, as I mentioned above, the rum was flowing freely. And so I snorkeled. I lasted for maybe five minutes before I hit some coral and convinced myself that I was about to be eaten by sharks (SHARKS SMELL BLOOD. Fact.) So I headed back to the boat and took pictures of Shawn and R.

Shawn is on the left and R is on the right. Sorry the photo sucks. I didn't want to risk dropping my DSLR in the ocean so I just took my little point and shoot camera on the boat.

After the snorkeling, we sailed to a beach with the world's largest inflatable water slide. How random is that? Random. Very random. It was all fun and games until someone (me. sigh.) lost their bikini bottoms.

After I collected my bikini bottoms (my dignity was nowhere to be found) we sailed onto a natural pool for some lunch and a floating bar. By this point, we had been in the sun for 6 hours. We had also been drinking for 6 hours. Lunch - warm (unintentionally warm) pasta salad, dried bread and unidentifiable luncheon meats - has never tasted so good. After that we sailed back to our starting point and piled back on the bus; drunk, sunburned and exhausted. For me, it was the most fun day of the trip. Definitely a day to remember (she says as she looks out her window at the Vancouver rain and shakes her fist.)


  1. Okay, it wasn't your blog that hated me. I guess I lost some brain cells this weekend because it took me like twenty tries of logging into blogger to realize that I was typing a login name that doesn't exist. Go me.

    Anyhow, your trip looks like it was beautiful. And as for losing your bikini bottom, at least that bikini wax was worth the trouble. Am I right?

  2. I have said it before, and I will say it again.

    I want to go to there.

  3. There's nothing quite like a misbehaving dog and crappy work environment to snap you back into reality. Though, I must say, those vacay pics are dreamy!

  4. That looks like it was so much fun. I NEED to go somewhere warm. The first and only time I ever went somewhere tropical was 7 years ago and I went to play a sport. There was no drinking or relaxing, just sweating because the gyms there didn't have AC.

  5. i want caribbean. NOW. after a GORGEOUS long weekend here with excellent weather, it's like 55 and raining today. which, i guess it's better that the crappy weather wasn't this weekend, but STILL. that's like a 30 degree temperature drop. UNACCEPTABLE.

  6. I second Nilsa - and wow does the water look amazing!! I can't wait until the Canadian sun actually WARMS us here in the prairies lol

  7. Oh wow. I didn't realized just how much I was jonesing to get the hell out of town to somewhere tropical until I saw your photos. I want to go.

    Awesome pics! Sounds like a great day. I am COMPLETELY with you on the snorkeling thing - I snorkeled in Hawaii and nearly embarrassed myself by almost not getting in the water. Me + deep water = trouble.

  8. Thank you for clarifying the temperature. I know the math, but I refuse to do it this late at night.

  9. Listen to me veeery closely: Pack up your stuff, take some more days off of work and GO BACK THERE!

    How in the world did you tear yourself away from that place?