Thursday 13 January 2011

A Simple Mistake Starts The Hardest Time I Promise I'll Do Anything You Ask This Time

Dudes, I am having a day today. A combination of unbloggable bullshit and very little sleep and, you know, the whole being a hormonal chick thing, has left me tearful and ragey. I really shouldn't be blogging is what I'm saying. This post actually started as a list of everything and everyone who has either pissed me off or made me cry this week and well, it was boring and unhealthy (and immature! and unflattering! and unfunny! etc.)

I reckon I need a love list to brighten up my mood. Bear with me, will you? (Or is it bare with me? Grammar police, what say you?)

Things I Love
a list by an extremely grumpy Hillary

- My dogs. Shocking, right? More specifically, I love what my dogs do when they're feeling excited and affectionate. Stella wags her tail so hard it whips both sides of her body - back and forth so quickly her tail is a blur. Wolfgang makes this weird grunty / moaning noise and tries to climb up into my lap for a quick kiss and a cuddle. It makes me smile every time.

- The Canucks current record (28-8-6) (*shiver*)

- Kyla Roma's salted chocolate chip cookies. I made these last weekend and I've been feasting on way too many of the little nuggets of happiness.

- My new camera. She's beautiful and I am having so much fun learning how to use her properly.

- Cooking for friends (related: does anyone have a gluten-free dessert recipe they can share? Nothing fancy - I don't want to have to go buy fancy non-gluten flour - just a nice, casual, non-deathy dessert for a night in with friends.)

What's putting a smile on your face today? Alternatively, what is making you stab unicorns today?

14 comments:

  1. Google says it's "bear"

    I've had a mediocre day today. Nothing great, nothing bad.
    I suppose that's alright.

    Nope scratch that. The boyfriend just told me he has to work Saturday.

    *stabs unicorn*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that listing what you love definitely helps on days when you're feeling extra stabby. I hope things are turning around for the better!

    What's making me smile is a long weekend this weekend and getting to see one of my best friends, a clean house and delicious coffee.

    What's making me stabby isn't something I want to say on the internets, but it should all be resolved fairly soon. I'm stressed to the hilt until then, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you turned it around to positive things. It's all too easy to wallow in the bad, isn't it?

    Today's smiles brought to you by the possibility of seeing David Sedaris for the 5th time and Cake for the 1st time, that tomorrow is pay day, that I have a full weekend of fun stuff planned, that I have successfully avoided eating any m & m's today despite their cries from the bowl in my coworkers office. ;-)

    I think I have a gluten free dessert for you. Let me find it and email it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my birthday today, and lots of people have made me smile. Almost makes me ashamed of the pity party I threw myself in a post over at Keenie Beanie last night.

    Nice work focusing on the positive things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking that if you really want to keep dessert simple (and you and your guests can do dairy), just stick with ice cream and maybe pecans and caramel sauce. If dairy is a no-go, you could make some oatmeal-free chocolate macaroons.

    If you want something more special, I have the most AMAZING almond-chocolate-date cake recipe which is made with eggs and ground almonds. Send me a note and I'll forward it to you.

    Celiacs are pretty used to going without dessert, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU are putting a smile on my face today, because you got a new camera. WHEE!

    (Is that too cheesy? Oh well. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your doggies, too! And I love my cats.

    But my computer is making me want to punch and/or stab babies AND kittens.

    A great gluten free dessert that I like to make is to slice up pears, apples, bananas, or any type of fruit you want. Then melt chocolate chips (some have gluten in them, though) and drizzle the chocolate sauce over the fruit. You could also add some kind of extract to the chocolate sauce, like almond or vanilla. It's not super fancy, but it's easy and delicious. You can dress it up by putting a dollop of whipped cream or creme fraiche on top with a sprig of mint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I am sorry your day was so crappy. I've been having a pretty bad week as well - most of it I haven't been able to talk about online so it makes it even harder. No outlet to vent!

    But I have always found making lists of things that make me happy is a productive way to shake it off, at least temporarily.

    Today, I am smiling because my dog is actually behaving herself. That's reason enough.

    Yay for new cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I am sorry your day was so crappy. I've been having a pretty bad week as well - most of it I haven't been able to talk about online so it makes it even harder. No outlet to vent!

    But I have always found making lists of things that make me happy is a productive way to shake it off, at least temporarily.

    Today, I am smiling because my dog is actually behaving herself. That's reason enough.

    Yay for new cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I am sorry your day was so crappy. I've been having a pretty bad week as well - most of it I haven't been able to talk about online so it makes it even harder. No outlet to vent!

    But I have always found making lists of things that make me happy is a productive way to shake it off, at least temporarily.

    Today, I am smiling because my dog is actually behaving herself. That's reason enough.

    Yay for new cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry your day was crappy yesterday. I hope today is better.

    I just found a recipe for Pop Rocks Rice Krispie Treats. The very idea is making me smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A yummy gluten-free dessert are: coconut macaroons. A recipe can be found in the classic Betty Crocker cookbook. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm sorry you were having a crappo day. I hope today is better.

    Something that made me smile today: I got marriage and pregnancy news out of the blue from a (blog)friend who used to be in the same single boat as me.

    Gluten free...does flan have gluten? I love flan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure if it's gluten-free or not, but a big bowl of chocolate is always good. use spoons. or not. chips, bars, melted "chocolate soup". awesome. also, makes my shit days less shitty.

    ReplyDelete