Monday 24 January 2011

Organize Our Lives And Lose The Key

Shawn and I went to Ikea yesterday (as in Sunday - rookie mistake!) and ended up in the midst of some sort of evil kitchen event. Because our marriage hasn't been tested enough lately.

We've been talking about upgrading our queen-sized bed to a king-size for ages now but to make room for a bigger bed, we need to get rid of a dresser. To get rid of a dresser, we need a closet organizer. To get a closet organizer, we need to go to Ikea. And that's where the plan stalled. Shawn hates Ikea. Hate is not a strong enough word for what Shawn feels for Ikea.

A chance sighting of a heavily-reduced king-sized bed frame forced us into action yesterday. A packed parking lot and lineups to get into various parts of the store did not deter us from our goal, nor did hunger pangs, back ache, or crazy pregnant lady tears (I couldn't choose a colour. It was upsetting.) We were on a mission.

Eleven hours (and hundreds of dollars and one giant pizza, and, uhhh, one crappy low-light iPhone picture) later, our mission was complete.

My husband rocks.

12 comments:

  1. I had never been to Ikea before I moved to Portland. Vahid and I went on a day date there. We went around picking all the things we wanted for our place (when we buy one, eventually). It was pretty fun but that mostly because of all the making out on the secret couch under the bed in the bedroom area. Well until the children found us that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! We went to IKEA yesterday too, but evening was the key to avoiding the madness. You'll LOVE having a king bed. We joke that it changed our lives (but really, it did).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ikea! Except I like going there in the middle of the week at odd hours because then there's no crazy crowds there. Then again I can't go at the time because of that thing called work.

    But yay!!!! You found a lovely organizer and it's all built in and yay!

    So I have to ask, are you going back to buy the bed, or just ordering it online? (I actually ordered my couch from them online.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! It does look very pretty and organizable.

    But I am with your man. I loathe Ikea and will never set foot in that store again unless someone I love is trapped inside. Hell hath no fury like Ikea on a weekend afternoon. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband feels the same way about Kohl's. He hates that store with a passion. Can't put it into words. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love IKEA! But not on a Sunday.

    Way to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, Ikea sells stuff with dark finishes? Hell, I need to give that place another shot. I never loved their stuff, because it was always light wood finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's gorgeous. Also, never never ever go to Ikea on a weekend. People are INSANE on the weekends. It's worse than Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both Jess and I have a love/hate relationship with Ikea. But we find that the more we go, the less love and more hate the relationship becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a love/hate relationship with Ikea, but my Sean is the same as your Shawn in hating it with a passion. I refuse to go on weekends, though - my "safe Ikea time" is Tuesdays at about 11am - then I can shop, then eat Swedish meatballs in the cafe for $1.99. :-) Love your new closet thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PRETTTTTTY. i'm, uh, shacking up with the boy in a month, and i'm suspecting we're going to need a Closet System like that in order to fit all my clothes into his already-full closet. that should go smoothly. gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't mind Ikea when it's busy, as long as I'm not actually buying anything! Heh.

    ReplyDelete