Tuesday 4 January 2011

I See Hope Is Here In A Plastic Box I've Seen Christmas Lights Reflect In Your Eyes

I started coming down with Shawn's Man Flu a few days before Christmas. And then I slept for two weeks. No really, that's all I did for the days leading up to Christmas and then my entire Christmas break. On one hand I feel kind of guilty for spending my 11 glorious days off work in bed but on the other hand, I really needed that sleep. I read trashy mystery novels, I cuddled the monsterpups, I watched copious amounts of hockey, and I didn't feel guilty for turning down invitations to parties and movies and pub nights. It was excellent.

Of course now I'm back to real life and my job is overwhelming and my Google Reader is yelling at me and I'm falling asleep at my desk even though it's only noon. I don't know, maybe it's the fact that Vancouver has been sunny and warm for the last week or maybe it's just the feeling of a brand new year but I've got a huge grin on my (tired) face. This year is only four days old but it's already outperforming much of 2010.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you've been ill, but GLAD to hear from you! I assumed you'd taken a vacation, but I was at the point of emailing to see if you'd fallen off the northwestern end of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool how most of your post titles are poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon Gloria: Not quite but almost! I feel like I fell of the earth - I'm so out of the loop. Can't wait to catch up with you :)

    Rate of Dissent: They're actually song lyrics - I can take no credit for them whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This year is only four days old but it's already outperforming much of 2010" yeaaaa baby rock on 2011
    MUCHO LOVE FROM OVER THE POND XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely marked all as read - no shame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. frankly, that sounds like an EXCELLENT way to spend a break. uh, i mean except for the sick part. the lying about reading trashy novels and cuddling pups and sleeping a lot part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite adore your idea of vacation time. MUCH NEEDED. So glad you got lots of rest and many monsterpup hugs!

    Happy 2011 lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably spent an entire day catching up on Reader after the holidays... #carpaltunnel

    So glad your 2011 is already awesome, and bonus points to you for the Athlete song in the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sentiment: Ahh Lou, you big nut! Mucho love to you too!!

    Ben: I am so tempted.

    Alice: the being sick part wasn't so bad when combined with the bed and cuddly pups part!

    Marie: Happy 2011 to you, lady!

    Emily-Jane: Athlete is one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Vahid is getting me sick. So I am chewing vitamin C like it's candy. (well that and it's--aside from the chocolate flavored calcium chews--the only sweet thing I can have until my cheat day on this stupid diet. I guess I'm grumpy about my lack of cake.)

    Glad you are feeling better! Hope work isn't too crazy..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel guilty for lying in bed even when I am sick. How effed is that?! Meanwhile I live with a guy who can easily sleep 13 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for 2011! Happy times shall continue..I've got a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry you have been sick. That totally bites. But it sounds like you had fun getting better.

    Don't worry about the Google Reader. When mine yells at me, I just go take a nap. So far, there has been minimal damage as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Glad to see you grinning, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eff yes, this year is already shaping up better than 2010!
    And dude, I hear you about the sleeping and feeling like you were wasting your break. I did the same thing, due to a mother-effing double ear infection.
    Cheers to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a LOVELY vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you are feeling better dollface!

    So if I were to go to Seattle, say, and take the ferry across, how close would I be to you?

    ReplyDelete