Sunday 31 January 2010

I'm Gonna Take You Down To The Market Lover

Shawn and I are trying to eat more vegetables. The problem isn't a dislike of vegetables; it's a time thing. It takes a lot of time to chop up enough fruits and vegetables to make a salad interesting. I'm not a fan of a lettuce, tomato, and cucumber salad. I need variety.

Another problem we've faced is that our supermarket has crappy produce. Crappy expensive produce. So we've started making a weekly trip to the green grocer. Yes, it's annoying having to go to another store to complete our grocery shopping but the quality of the produce is so beyond that of the supermarket that it's not even comparable. And cheap! We got all of this for just $36:

It would cost over $60 if we had bought it at the supermarket.

We solved our quality control issue so now it's just a time thing. I'm hoping that the thought of all this beautiful produce going to waste is enough motivation for me to take the time to actually prepare it.

9 comments:

  1. My produce always goes bad. I buy it with the best intentions, but I end up throwing away at least 1/3 of it. I think I need to practice European grocery-shopping techniques: only buying what you need for that day and taking lots of short trips to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are also trying to eat more vegetables, since previously our most frequently consumed vegetable was marinara sauce. However, we're also hating the fact that they're expensive and they end up going bad before we can use them all. Apparently we can watch our wight or our finances, but not both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I am sucky about the fresh veggies. I love them, but Nick won't eat cooked vegetables, and I don't love making salad. And he's not that interested in non-meat non-cheese non-starch foods, so unless I make an effort, we don't eat enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm that looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are some lovely tubers. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! And if you guys make it part of your weekend routine I bet that would be a lot of fun =)

    I've been trying to be more adventurous with my veggies so I bought and roasted my first egg plant with weekend. I'm really excited about it lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! There's a little place near us we go to on the same day as grocery shopping, WAY more variety, and way cheaper - we just have to go a couple of times a week to stop things spoiling. It's just getting into the habit that's the tough part :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's too bad Trader Joe's hasn't hopped across the border yet. They sell most veggies pre-chopped (which is especially awesome with things like sweet potato spears or cubed butternut squash). It saves a ton of time, isn't much more money, and makes it easier to eat better.

    We eat truckloads of fruit, but veggies are a bit harder to get into meals other than dinner. I love the farmers market in the summer for inspiration, otherwise I like the produce at Whole Foods. We tried a local organic produce delivery, but the quality was really poor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That salad is making my mouth water. And good idea about the produce, darn winter prices.

    ReplyDelete