Monday 18 June 2012

Too Numb To Notice That The Sky Has Turned So Blue

Grady has been sick for a week. A week of hell. A week of charting temperatures and not eating and tepid baths. A week of four hospital visits and two blood tests and very little sleep. Grady's fever is gone, which is a good thing, and his blood work was satisfactory enough that the doctor was comfortable sending us home yesterday, which is a very good thing, and for now I'm just trying to remember to breathe and work my way down from the state of perpetual panic I've been in since Friday.

We're dealing with two issues: his urine and blood keep growing staph and his neutrophils level is critically low. We're playing the waiting game right now. Tomorrow (hopefully) or Wednesday (more likely) we'll find out if his latest blood work shows staph (the doctors keep telling us that staph doesn't make sense and it's likely the result of contaminated samples but correct me if I'm wrong, three for three is NOT GOOD ODDS AT ALL, you filthy filthy hospital.) On Friday we will take him for more blood work to check his neutrophils level. We can't do anything right now but wait. I am not a good waiter. I'm a doer. Except there isn't anything for me to do right now except fret. That buzzing noise you hear? Is me doing all the fretting.

I'm very lucky to have my older sister. Turtle has done all the necessary Googling so I don't have to. She's told me the good bits and told me to stay away from the bad bits. It has taken Herculean strength but I've managed to stay away from the bad bits. I'm lucky to have good friends who offer to bring us food in the hospital and lovely Twitter and Facebook friends who hold us in their hearts and don't laugh at me when I ask for healing (hippie) vibes. I'm lucky that Gus is at home and even though things aren't very good at all right now they're not horribly bad either.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Hills. I wish I weren't four hours away - I would be more hands on with my help.

    You guys are on my mind constantly, and we're praying he's all better SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can only hope that Grady has some stupid infection that his body is fighting ... and he'll be back to good in no time. Positive, healing thoughts for you and yours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will do some buzzing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and Grady and sending healing vibes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hillary,

    My name is Valentine and I am in charge of bloggers relations within the company Made in Blog. Our website,www.madeinblog.ca, aims to offer our bloggers a way to monetize their audience and the possibility to build partnership with brands.

    We are currently looking for Canadian bloggers with any profile to take part in the largest survey ever realized in the Canadian blogosphere. It would be great to have your opinion and you could win a lot of great prizes including $100 ALDO gifts certificates.

    Take the survey here : http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/mibsurvey2012

    Have a good day and happy clicking! Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions: bloggers@madeinblog.ca

    Valentine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Valentine. Your timing is impeccable. Assuming a made-up persona can have timing.

      Sending all the healing vibes I have to that ridiculously adorable child. And you don't even have to take a survey!

      Delete
  6. Still sending all the healthy thoughts I've got towards your sweet little boy. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no :( I was wondering what was going on! I have been sending you Australian healthy vibes - they're very strong! I promise!

    How did you know he was that sick? Was it just the temperature? The poor baby :( big big hugs to all of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh friend i can't even imagine not fretting! i would be! sending all of the healthy normal hippie vibes your way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. ugh! sending all my bestest and strongest vibes to you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a firm believer in the "vibes." I meditate and everything when I need an extra oomph. I've been thinking of you and Grady all week, but didn't want to send an email because I didn't know what to say that hasn't already (probably) been said. I have no kiddos, but I obviously can only empathize to a certain extent but I do hope everything turns out well soon.

    Sending all my healing thoughts to you. Xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending good vibes your way :) The both of you hang in there.

    ReplyDelete