Friday 25 September 2009

Just Beat It Beat It Beat It Beat It No One Wants To Be Defeated - Take 9

Friday Faff: Birthdays and Burgers and Beets Edition

* * * * *

So, uhh, this is awkward. It turns out that Wolfgang's birthday isn't until next Tuesday. Yet another reason why I should stick to fur-babies.

* * * * *

Thank you for all your road trip suggestions! I am kind of ridiculously excited to eat at In-n-Out Burger. Shawn and I ate dinner at Fatburger the night we got engaged. We served burgers at our wedding. We are burger people, is what I'm saying. All the other road trip stuff is great too, don't get me wrong, but what I'm really looking forward to is the food. I'm going to shop at Trader Joe's! I'm going to drink lemonade at Sonic!! I am lame, I know.

* * * * *
So I ate my stupid September beets. Enough people suggested pickled beets that I figured they must be something special. Pickled beets are ... fine. The vinegar taste was quite strong, which masked the taste of the beets nicely. The problem was the cleanliness (and my craziness.) I bought a jar of pickled whole baby beets, which I assumed would be peeled. They were not peeled. I could see beet skin on some of the beets and they all had the top rooty bit attached. It was too much for me to handle so I used a paring knife to peel off the entire outer skin. I ended up with tiny little beet nuggets:


I served the beets on a salad, with a side of barbecued chicken and grilled zucchini. Who's in denial that summer is over? Not I.

* * * * *

Have a great weekend, peeps!

8 comments:

  1. Sonic lemonade is kind of not as delicious (to me) as their limeade. At the Sonic near my house, the lemonade is just the powdered Hi-C stuff. But maybe that's just a Texas thing? Strawberry limeades are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only you were our neighbor. I don't do beets. And we keep getting them in our weekly delivery from a local farm. So, I keep giving them to our neighbors, who LOVE beets. At least, through this whole beet challenge, you wouldn't have to pay for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please fedex me your food? Because OMG that looks delicious!

    Trader Joe's is the best. Which reminds me, I need go there and get some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to Trader Joe's, Sonic, or In-N-Out. JEALOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the chicken looks good in that mix, haha.

    then again i hate zuchinni, but hey at least you're still trying beets, i am impressed.

    and woo to in-n-out, you will not be let down. :)

    also in case no one has told you, ordering it animal style is another way to go if you're daring, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My...yummmy!
    Hope you have a delicious weekend as well~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, there is absolutely no way there WON'T be burgers at my wedding someday. You are *my* kinda people. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like pickled things but I love beets, preferably roasted. MMM.

    ReplyDelete