Wednesday 8 May 2013

Awkward Exchanges, Inappropriate Touching, and Barry Manilow - or - My Surgery Recap

I met my surgeon once - briefly - before my surgery and I got a very intelligent and very awkward vibe from him. I feel a certain kinship with awkward people. I *get* socially awkward people. Socially awkward people are my people.

So when he walked into my pre-op room the morning of my surgery and cheerily announced he was ready to take the right side of my thyroid (when really he was supposed to be taking the left side) I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not. So I mirrored his smile and cheerily replied that nope, he was ready to take the left. Which led to an awkward exchange between us, and then some nurses joined in, and then so did the anesthesiologist, and then I panicked a little, and that's how I ended up with a giant checkmark on the left side of my neck. Also, our awkward exchange ended with him reaching out and stroking my cheek (which ... did not make things any less awkward.)

We were not off to an auspicious start but my nerves were calmed as soon as I walked into the operating room. (Sidebar: I was not expecting to walk into the operating room and climb up onto the operating table by myself. It was bizarre.) On the table right inside the door was a CD player with a Barry Manilow greatest hits CD sitting beside it. That's right, the soundtrack to my surgery was provided by "Ultimate Manilow." I couldn't help but laugh. And then they gave me the good drugs and I don't remember anything until I woke up in recovery.

The surgery went well and I was able to go home the same day. I felt so good that first day. It was bizarre how good I felt. There have been ups and downs but overall it's been much easier and less painful than I was expecting. They were unable to bandage my incision because of the location on my neck so it was tough to keep Grady's fingers off it for the first few days. He's fascinated by it. He calls it my owie and kisses it at least once a day.

I meet with my surgeon again on Friday. This is the big appointment. The definitely not cancer / definitely cancer appointment. I'm terrified but also relieved to finally be getting some answers. I'm also really excited to see my surgeon again. He fascinates me. I didn't take him for a Fanilow.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the surgery was okay and you're feeling not terrible. Crossing my fingers for Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be thinking of you on Friday! Glad it's gone better than expected so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to good news! Love you, lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you made it past this big hurdle. Fingers crossed for Friday, sending many hugs your way! (But not in a stalker-ish way.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, loved that you were groovin' to Barry while under the influence of the good drugs. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for the very best news a surgeon can give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending many good vibes for only good news on Friday! I'm glad it has been less painful than you were expecting. Also sending some virtual hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was so strange when I was asked to walk into my surgery too! And it was soooo cold in the operating room but they had really warm blankets to put on me which was practically spa like. Luckily I only have one cervix so they didn't have to put a check mark on it to be sure they operated on the correct one. :-)

    I hope that the news you get today is not cancer. All the good thoughts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's so great that he was listening to Barry, so random.

    sending you all the super healthy, super awesome, non-cancery vibes i can! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Continuing to think about you lots and lots and to feel angry and sad and scared and hopeful. Wishing you a quick and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete