Saturday 1 June 2013

Round Two

I was supposed to check in for my second surgery at noon. I planned my morning down to the last minute. And then the hospital called me at 10:30 and asked me to come in asap. 

It was good because there was no time for me to sit and dwell in my worry but it was bad because things are supposed to go according to plan when you plan them down to the last minute. My goodbye with Shawn and Grady was rushed. I arrived at the hospital frazzled and anxious. My pre-op checkin was hurried. I started to get a bad feeling but it was too late to back out. I climbed up onto the the operating table and soon I was unconscious. 

I did not wake up gently like I did after the last surgery. I woke up retching and it continued for over two hours. The room spun and I had intense pain in one ear. My throat was swollen and raw from the breathing tube. I spoke to Shawn and we decided that Grady wouldn't come see me because I would be home the next morning and anyway, my body was so wrecked from the surgery and anesthesia that I had no milk (okay, so not entirely accurate but I'm going to file this one under tmi and just say that I could go the night without breastfeeding and leave it at that.) 

I fully expected to be at home Saturday morning but there have been a few complications from the surgery and here I am, Sunday night and still  stuck in the hospital. My first night ever away from Grady has extended into three consecutive nights away from Grady. Fortunately we live close to the hospital and Shawn has been bringing him by for cuddles and nursing. It has been rough, though. On everyone. 

I am keeping everything crossed that I get to go home tomorrow. I'm going crazy cooped up in this hospital room (even though I have the sweetest roommate.) I just want to be at home with my guys. 


8 comments:

  1. Truly hope you are home tomorrow. Being home with your boys and some veggies & fruit will do you good. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope you get to go home today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better and get home really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you're having a rough time. I hope you feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry this time has been rough for you. I hope you get out of there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I've been trapped at the hospital with my husband and nursing son at home (first nights away from my son) and it was horrid. Hoping for good things for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's late Monday night and I'm hoping you are tucked into bed with your family at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been following along on FB and am late to comment here. Hope you're resting peacefully at home (well, as peacefully as a rowdy toddler will allow).

    ReplyDelete